Planning a road trip this holiday?? No need to worry, we have you covered!
The most important thing on a road trip is the picnic basket with roadside snacks!
When packing a picnic basket, ensure:
- Lots of water
- Coffee/Tea in a flask with a few healthy rusks (as a breakfast)
- Fresh and dried fruit – consider berries, pineapple ect.
- Unsalted nuts (avoid macadamia nuts)
- Proper lunch food to avoid unhealthy take-aways. Consider a whole-wheat sandwich, chicken and vegetable wrap, chicken skewers with baby vegetables (rosa tomatoes, baby corn, sugar snap peas, carrot balls etc)
- Consider using guacamole and cottage cheese as a dip
- Provitas / Rice cakes
- Lean biltong
- Slimmers choice chips (Woolies)
- Sparkle sucking sweets (will prevent over indulging)
Things to avoid in your picnic basket:
- Sugary drinks – including fruit juices
- Sweets, biscuits and chocolates
- Muffins (unless homemade bran)
- Chips and crackers
- High fat cheeses
- Road side take aways
- Ice cream
The items in the “allowed” list will satisfy hunger without contributing excessive energy. It will keep the blood sugar levels stable and prevent irritation and sudden tiredness.
Then items in the “avoid” list will typically cause sugar spikes and drops, weight gain, uncomfortable bloating and unsatisfied hunger.