Easy way to make your own Greek yoghurt
You will need:
- 2liters low fat milk
- 2 tablespoons plain yoghurt
- Cooking pot with lid
- cheese cloth
1) Heat 2 liters of low fat milk on medium heat (stove setting 3), uncovered, to just before boiling point. It will take more or less 20 minutes. The milk should make small fine bubbles on the surface but should not boil.
2) Take the pot off the stove and cover with lid, leave for 1 hour.
3) Stir in 2 tablespoons of plain yoghurt (this will be your cultures!)
4) Cover the pot again with the lid, place the pot in a towel or blanket and leave to cool for 10 hours.
5) Throw the milk/yoghurt mixture out onto a cheese cloth (buy from your local haberdashery)
6) Hang cheesecloth up and leave mixture to strain for 3 ½ hours.
7) Scrape into a sealable container and place in fridge to cool completely.
8) Enjoy with a spoon of honey and fresh fruit!
- Prepare your milk mixture at night and leave overnight to cool down
- If you have nowhere to hang your cheese cloth, tie it to a hanger and hang it up onto one of your cupboard handles. Remember to place the cooking pot below the mixture so that the whey protein can drip into it.
- If your yoghurt is too thick, stir some of the whey protein (watery substance) back into the yoghurt
- If there are small lumps after straining, stir the yoghurt with a whisk.
- This recipe will make 700 – 800g thick yoghurt